Saturday, July 25, 2015

Magic Happens. Yes it does.


Darkness all around. Nothing in sight. 
And then suddenly there is a spray of glitter, glitter oh-so bright.
A little pixie flies around, whizzing, making beautiful patterns crazy
That’s when I open my eyes, wake up from a Disney dream, a dream so hazy.

There is something about Disney, I know there is
Its magic, it’s wonderland, its fantasy that makes hearts go fizz.
I'm amazed by the dreamy eyes of every child wrapped in awe and glory
The drool as coaches become pumpkins and mirrors can tell a story.

Wide eyed, hopeful, enamored, as the story unfolds
There will be a happy ending for sure I'm told.
The beautiful princess will meet her prince charming
And if Good doesn’t reign over the Bad, that would be very alarming.

What is it about fantasy that glues children to it
Is it just their innocence that makes them see light even through the mist?
I suppose not, there must be more, more to unravel
Explore far-away lands and journeys to travel.

My theory is simple, for all those that will want to understand,
No one likes reality, really, with its hands dipped in sand.
Our only chance at fairytales are these stories at large ,
We all flock to these like moths to light in the dark.

I have always amazed at the magic of story-telling,
That can transport the rich and the poor, the old and young, into the same dwelling
It’s a great leveler, you see, stories really is
Then be it mindless Bollywood or a Hollywood flick.

I have often wondered what it is about movies that I love
When the theatre goes all dark, and the music builds up.
My heart races with excitement each time I plan a day at the movies
I'm pretty sure its same as the kids when on Disney they go groovy.

Losing oneself in the grandeur of the other world,
Where a lifetime goes by in a tizzy and a swirl.
Of course it’s a better world than our slow moving one
In just 3 hours, the story is ready to be re-run.

People say Hollywood is great but Bollywood sucks
Just as Disney stories are magic but who cares about Chacha Choudhary or Champak.
Its not a competition and it was never meant to be
These are just stories that take us to the mountains and to the sea.

No matter how old I am and how childlike it seems
Stories will always be my real fascination and in my dreams.
I am crazy about movies because its everything a dreamer wants
I can’t even begin to imagine the imaginations that it haunts.

Why should I not be a child each time I watch a story
Why should I not rejoice in all its glory?
The action, the drama, the romance, the ending
I want to be that little girl watching in rapt awe without pretending.

3 comments: